Skip to main content

The Happy Files, Ch. 5

Chapter 5


Now is when the pieces are really going to start being put together. I just finished the book, "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin. It left with me with a child-like excitement to being mindfully accepting my quest for happiness that I can barely contain. This woman is one of my literary heroes, all because she has voiced for me that which I never knew could be voiced. And now I feel I have the opportunity to have a better quality of life because I know that at least one other person struggled with and worked out a solution to her resolve towards self-improvement, thus happiness.

Why a "Happiness Project?" At the very end of her book, Rubin's husband made note of the fact that her project was really a cover-up for wanting to gain more control of her life. Pause. Recognize. Wow! Ditto! My intrigued obsession with her account of soul-seeking played on my own desire to look the phenomenon of happiness in the face and demand to know more about it. This reminds me of the story in the Bible where Jacob wrestled with an image of God, and when the angel begged to be let go of, Jacob said, "Not until you bless me!" I refused to let go of my quest to be happy until the concept ceased to be grasped. And this book served as a prelude to my necessary adventure. Now that it's over, I can fill your heads with my own ideas, findings, lightbulb enlightenments,and hopefully, encouragement!

To give a clearer focus to the haze I have already distributed in the last 4 chapters, I will share my Happiness Goals. They are complete with examples of how I plan to achieve them.

1. Forgiveness- I plan to maintain healthy relationships after the act of forgiving. Forgiveness means to GIVE FOR handling to the Creator. This will be a life-long resolution.

2. Study the Bible-As one of my go-to books of how to maneuver through life, I would like to study and research topics that I currently question or need to know more about, such as tithing, child-rearing, and Christian behavior. I will write out promises so that I can remember them when I need them. I mean, the Bible is an encyclopedia of historical and spiritual info, there is no way I can remember all of it!

3. Attitude- Embrace the positive perpspectives in life. Strive for contentment. Take risks by going in with a cheerful mindset. Set the attitude standard. This will be a lifelong resolution as well.

4. Marriage- Learn how to stay in love; learn how to improve intimacy (and sex!); learn how to foster and nurture the bonds of trust; learn how to be kind to my partner; remember why I was drawn to them in the first place.

5. Parenthood-strive to be more patient; be humble and apologize; take time to get on their level; be loving to my children; be respectful to my children's feelings and needs.

6. Family-attend family events instead of looking for excuses to opt out; send out family pics and newsletters a few times a year; invite family members to functions; call them sometimes; update our family website often so everyone can have the joy of keeping up with us.

7. Friends-have at least two friend dates per month; join a Mom's group; join a small group at church; schedule monthly outings and lunches with my best friends to continue nourishing our relationships.

8. Money-Review financial goals and see a planner every year; buy one thing I really want every month (within reason); make sure the kids have their needs met first (clothes, shoes, coats!); evaluate my budget quarterly, make changes; have weekly chat with my husband about our bank accounts.

9. Leisure-read one book/month; blog at least 2x/mo; tweet or fb at least 20 min/day; watch at least 1 show a week that I like; attend an art exhibit; go see a play

10. Networking-check in with my old profs and community contacts every few months; ask for reference letters and feedback from those whose careers and opinions I admire; be open and vulnerable to receiving information I ask for!

11. Volunteering-helping others will make me happier! Try going on a missions trip, working at a soup kitchen/shelter, being an elderly companion, helping at the Humane Society.

12. Travel-plan small weekend getaways every other month! Search for and save coupons! Plan one big trip EVERY YEAR. There is never a good time to take a vacation, and life is not going to award you a special opportunity. Save, plan, and make it happen!

13. Stress Management-Say no! Reduce my workload, even if it means a little less dough; Check my scheduling; continue to attend therapy; try deep breathing; get a massage every month; observe the Sabbath (one day a week with no work or scheduled activities).

14. Learn something new-every season try a new activity (i.e. gardening class, sewing class, personal trainer, dance class, volleyball team, art class, cooking class).

15. Body Maintenance- sleep at least 8 hours/ nite AND exercise at least 3x/wk for 25 min.

16. Professional Development-devise a practice schedule that works; find performance opportunities; make recordings I've always wanted to make; upgrade to new instruments; become more educated on grant writing; attend music festivals and conferences; ask all the greats their secrets; be humble and just do better instead of trying to be best; Never give up on my goals and dreams; take an acting class; send my scores to publishers for feedback; do one thing at a time instead of everything all the time; be true to change and my interests.

My friends, the art of being happy isn't elusive. It's not impossible, futile, or unattainable. It needs to be searched for, followed after, created, and to be developed mindfully. We are the fulfillers of dreams, and the overcomers of circumstance. We were given life and willed to live in abundance. Fear, ailments,and finances are all beautiful excuses for putting our happiness on hold, but why would we want to excuse ourselves from experiencing the best life we can, especially since we only get to do this once! I would love to know, who is willing to stop charging forth with life long enough to gaze on the possibility of obtaining the virtue of happiness? It takes but a decision, a set of goals and resolutions, and a plan for success to get started. To us, the deservers of all the happiness life has to offer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White or Black? Choose ONE.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I was finally inspired to pick up my virtual "pen" and write after reading, crying, and being inspired by an article in the May issue of Ebony magazine. Catapulted in part by the remarks by Halle Berry in a past issue of Ebony regarding her view on her daughter's race, this issue is chock-full of articles regarding mixed persons' views of themselves, their families, their mixed-raced children, and what they regard themselves as racially. The crying ensued as relief-that I am not alone, that others feel as I do, that I can share my feelings without the fear of judgement. That I can be honest about who I see myself as. Because this is about ME, not about others' feelings or perceptions of me. Not about what is "politically correct" regarding my raceor allowing society to push me into a "neat little box" of either Black or White. As an adoptee, my Black parents always made sure I knew what I was mixed with, b

What I Wish I Would've Done

Everyone handles grief differently. I would say I hold it at a distance, tolerating it in small spurts. My Great-Grandmother Donna Langdon died recently. Although I only knew her for a short time (being reunited 6-7 years ago after being adopted), I find myself missing her. I handle death in a very meticulous way. First, I being to tell myself that it will soon happen, sometimes preparing many, many years in advance. I have done this with my grandparents, and I did this with my great-grandmother. Some people say they "don't think about it," but I'm the opposite...I understand it as a normal part of life, I forewarn myself of it's pending coming, and gently remind myself every so often so I can figure out the best way for me to handle the situation. This may seem morbid to you, or insensitive even. Truth is, if I don't think about it, plan on it, I'm not sure how my grief process would end up. For me, death is the ultimate separation in this life. I'

Sometimes, I cry...

Today was terrible. I'm sitting now finally having gotten through it, with "Sex and the City: The Movie" playing in the background, my hair damp from an aromatic shower, and my honesty about to boil over and burn your lap. After a nearly two-week streak of overwhelming joy and happiness, hope for new possibilities in my life, today I crashed, and I mean h-a-r-d. Today mommy-ing was so rough. My son seems to never stop calling me. The cat never stops play-biting. My daughter gets clingy and whiny from getting up too early and wanting to nap before lunch. The long list of things to do on my day off (written by me, of course) is slowly being completed, but my fatigue isn't melting away. In fact, even after 9 hours of sleep, I was so tired today I was disappointed in my body, of all things. This is not an ordinary tired. This is a I've-been-trying-to-figure-out-why-I've-been-fatigued-for-over-a-year-and-my-doctors-don't-seem-to-care-or-know-anything-and-I