Skip to main content

Where my Spirit Is NOW: What I can confirm

Since I came out today, I figured it is only fitting to organize what I do believe since detaching my tentacles from the organized religion of Christianity. Here is what I do believe, with no evidence, just feeling what my spirit feels:

  • I feel there is a Creator. Actually I choose to believe this because I cannot wrap my head around any kind of notion that the beauty we find in nature, children, love, and the connections of spirit with others  is just by happenstance or evolving biologically. There is no way this just "is". I can't tolerate that concept. There is something bigger than this universe that has taken time to deliberately paint flowers, design body systems, and provide emotions. That I feel in my spirit for SURE. 
  • I feel the closest spiritually to my creator when I am in nature. When the sounds and music of nature are playing I can almost tear up for the sheer beauty of it all. I feel healing happen naturally in nature. 
  • I believe that when someone is happy and wholly healthy, good things begin to happen. That doesn't mean someone they love won't die,or they won't get cancer no matter how healthy they are. Life is a cycle of seasons, beginnings and endings, and learning how to navigate those dips and valleys are what this journey is about.
  • I believe we were gifted with an amazing system of intelligence, wit, and mental strength. No matter the chips against it through life experiences or lack of knowledge and growth, I believe these minds are capable of making choices and decisions, and accepting consequences. I firmly believe this. I believe you choose who to marry, divorce, have kids with, settle with, befriend, and unfriend. I believe our choices affect each other, especially those in our familial/close-knit circles. I also believe that yes, there are times when all the right things are at the right places at the right time, but also that we don't always get it right the first time, and that people change, and that maturity flux is real. We are all individually journeying and can't all be at the same point of growth at the same time, and  it can take some time to figure that out. It also is very important to know WHAT to do when you do realize that. You either grow, or you go.
  • I believe Jesus the Christ in the Bible is an amazing influence. He truly exemplified how humans should act towards each other. Paul the preacher and disciple of Christ also talks on "Fruits of the Spirit" and how to follow "a more excellent way" in loving behavior towards others and really disciplining the Spirit for good. 
  • I study Scripture because overall I believe it is a darn good resource for good living. I mean, it teaches you how to be an honorable person. Don't you think our society could use more of it? I base my teaching in parenting off of many things in the Bible as well. 
  • I believe reproducing is natural and nothing to be messed with, tampered with, cut off, limited, or "controlled." I believe that when so much energy is put into NOT reproducing it REALLY limits and inhibits the amazing joy that can be found in sex. 
  • I believe that in not wasting what we've been given, in being resourceful, and being grateful in all things we can build amazing character and leadership. 
  • I DEFINITELY believe in channeling pain and heartbreak into giving back to others going through that as well. We are all involved in this cycle of humanity and we should never ignore the needy, the hurting, and the hopeless. I believe in grace.
  • I believe that we're too hard on each other. 
  • I believe in letting go...of love. Letting go is very risky but it's also very healing. Let go of some love today and give it away.
  • I believe that Mother Teresa, Mahatma Gandi, Martin Luther, and Dr. Martin Luther King were some of the most amazing leaders and displayed much character by speaking out, extending a hand of fellowship across barriers, and living simply but powerfully.
  • It WILL all turn out okay if you're going FORWARD.
  • The WHOLE body is very important. Mind, body and spirit must be tended to wholly and that disease of the mind or body is dependent upon the lack of health of another area of the trichotomy.
  • Having children is healing. Being a parent is a spiritual experience. It will either break you down and make you bitter or make you stronger and make you better. I am grateful for the chance of parenting.
  • I love to worship. Worship is the honoring and revering of a Being (in my case) and their work. I can worship God, the Creator through nursing, praying, meditating on Scripture or a similar resource, being grateful, asking for guidance and peace, sitting and being quiet looking outside, journaling, playing music, listening to music, lifting my hands, crying, being joyful. I am so glad to be alive. I am an act of worship when I do things that uplift others and bring them joy, healing, and peace. I worship through mothering, being a wife, being a cook, and by exercising my body to keep it well.
  • I choose not to discriminate. My brother Jesus Christ was not a discriminator of the lowly, deranged, sad, broken, hurt, adulterous, or homosexual I believe. I choose to love and treat others with grace, not a self-righteous stick to prick all the sin out of them. Not saying others do that but that's how I have viewed discrimination, as something being wrong with someone and the rest of us treating them with a long-handled spoon to make sure it doesn't spill onto us. Jesus got dirty. 
  • I recently saw a picture of a missionary holding children from Haiti who were naked. There is nothing more vulnerable or beautiful than being naked. Trusting that others won't hurt you in that state is sheerly amazing. That picture spoke to me and said that when I am open, vulnerable, and exposed, those that love me will hold me and not hurt me. And I need to do the same with others.
  • I believe in doing the right thing because your integrity is at stake, and integrity is very important to other people valuing your work. Doing the right thing because it's right is very big in my book.
  • Love my Creator and God, love my neighbors/brothers/sisters, and love myself. These are the big guidelines I live by. I also strive to treat others and THINK of others how I want to be treated and thought of. I have been a very judgmental person in the past and it's really not fair. Because people do change and are constantly changing. I exercise hope in that we are all pushing for the greater good in our relationships, our health, and in sustaining our Earth. 
I am on this journey and I am accepting of it. I pray that I will continue to grow in wisdom and in seeking TRUTH. Jesus Christ said "The truth will set you free." No, I am not a modern-day Christian by the books, but I definitely gain from Christ's example, leadership, life, and legacy. And I'm not ashamed to say that I'm still growing! I am seeking who God is, what God is like, how God moves and creates. I pray that my development will bring hope, peace, and sustenance throughout the rest of this life I'm grateful to be living.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White or Black? Choose ONE.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I was finally inspired to pick up my virtual "pen" and write after reading, crying, and being inspired by an article in the May issue of Ebony magazine. Catapulted in part by the remarks by Halle Berry in a past issue of Ebony regarding her view on her daughter's race, this issue is chock-full of articles regarding mixed persons' views of themselves, their families, their mixed-raced children, and what they regard themselves as racially. The crying ensued as relief-that I am not alone, that others feel as I do, that I can share my feelings without the fear of judgement. That I can be honest about who I see myself as. Because this is about ME, not about others' feelings or perceptions of me. Not about what is "politically correct" regarding my raceor allowing society to push me into a "neat little box" of either Black or White. As an adoptee, my Black parents always made sure I knew what I was mixed with, b

What I Wish I Would've Done

Everyone handles grief differently. I would say I hold it at a distance, tolerating it in small spurts. My Great-Grandmother Donna Langdon died recently. Although I only knew her for a short time (being reunited 6-7 years ago after being adopted), I find myself missing her. I handle death in a very meticulous way. First, I being to tell myself that it will soon happen, sometimes preparing many, many years in advance. I have done this with my grandparents, and I did this with my great-grandmother. Some people say they "don't think about it," but I'm the opposite...I understand it as a normal part of life, I forewarn myself of it's pending coming, and gently remind myself every so often so I can figure out the best way for me to handle the situation. This may seem morbid to you, or insensitive even. Truth is, if I don't think about it, plan on it, I'm not sure how my grief process would end up. For me, death is the ultimate separation in this life. I'

Sometimes, I cry...

Today was terrible. I'm sitting now finally having gotten through it, with "Sex and the City: The Movie" playing in the background, my hair damp from an aromatic shower, and my honesty about to boil over and burn your lap. After a nearly two-week streak of overwhelming joy and happiness, hope for new possibilities in my life, today I crashed, and I mean h-a-r-d. Today mommy-ing was so rough. My son seems to never stop calling me. The cat never stops play-biting. My daughter gets clingy and whiny from getting up too early and wanting to nap before lunch. The long list of things to do on my day off (written by me, of course) is slowly being completed, but my fatigue isn't melting away. In fact, even after 9 hours of sleep, I was so tired today I was disappointed in my body, of all things. This is not an ordinary tired. This is a I've-been-trying-to-figure-out-why-I've-been-fatigued-for-over-a-year-and-my-doctors-don't-seem-to-care-or-know-anything-and-I