Skip to main content

The Mothering Journals, Post 1

Something truly amazing happened a few minutes ago.

Carefully, directly, firmly, and lovingly, I sent all my babies to bed for a nap. I sent my two eldest upstairs to their napping destinations, promising in a gentle warning manner to be up soon to check on them. I heard them head upstairs, and less than a minute later, I heard...nothing at all. After treating myself to a delectable chocolate-oozing sugar-pumped brownie (and sneaking my 7-month old a small taste) I also gently laid him down in a room to doze. He didn't protest to my amazement. Just watched me slowly back out of the room and close the door.

We've been in the middle of a nap war for a few months now, and sometimes with the last ounce of energy in my body I feebly ask them to go upstairs and place themselves in their beds, on the floor, wherever they can be separated and close their little glittering eyes and quiet their energetic hearts. My husband and I both dread heading upstairs numerous times in one afternoon or even at bedtime, sporadically hearing little feet pounding across the floor. I've found my daughter playing with my favorite (new!) lotion, smearing it all over her bed, the floor, the wall (!) and even once found her putting hair cream all over the top of her hair. Actually, I didn't find her, I smelled it all the way downstairs and "followed my nose." Her hair was so greasy it was all I could do not to immediately dump her in the tub to wash it out. But I was too tired!

Yes, my little Kendall Bean is some kind of something. She is oblivious to loving spankings, harsh warning words to stay put and even me pleading with her to please listen to me so I don't have to discipline her. She looks at me with her big beautiful blue-gray eyes and nods and says "Ok Mommy." I sigh with relief, heading back downstairs to catch my breath. Next thing I know...little feet thumping across the ceiling. My husband and I take turns heading upstairs each night, desperate for how to keep her in her bed without forever scarring her little plump bottom with our handprints. My husband has even joked that some lights must not be on in her head. I immediately rebuke him and tell him our baby is brilliant. She is just very strong-willed and hard-headed.

So to have all three angels down at the same time is almost a miracle. They are beautiful, sweet, and I love staying home with them simply to have some time with them, to watch them grow, to scold and lecture about hitting and throwing and saying "I don't like you" to one another, and to shriek in horror when one of them trips over their baby brother crawling along after them. At the same time, I long for my computer, to write, to post, to update, to research, to scour pictures of beautiful things and beautiful people, to connect socially with others around the world, and even sometimes wait expectantly for naptime just to do my hair, paint my nails, eat junk food without having to share, and to recharge so I can be ready to love them again with angst when they hop up ready to wear me out again.

Everyone says it goes by so fast. I'm glad I'm here for most of it. What a salve to my aching heart, that my babies are here with me, growing, and that I'm all in, trying my best to provide for them great instruction, example, love, grace, mercy, forgiveness, and tell them how much they are loved. Part of my success in my life's work happens here at home, where I learn to be open and willing to learn as their caretaker and precedent of self-esteem. What an honor, and what responsibility. I know that some, not all, understand the double-edged sword of parenting: the pain that comes from wishing you had a parent like yourself as a kid, and the responsibility that comes with parenting logically with love and not emotionally from a hurting haunting past. I can't stress how grateful I am to be called "Mom", and sometimes how scared I am. But I know I have strength from a source greater than myself, and that I can do all things with that strength. I will be open with my kids, pouring out my heart, and being available to them through it all. I know I'm in for a long road, and I embrace it.

They are mine and I am theirs, how great is the Father's love for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White or Black? Choose ONE.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I was finally inspired to pick up my virtual "pen" and write after reading, crying, and being inspired by an article in the May issue of Ebony magazine. Catapulted in part by the remarks by Halle Berry in a past issue of Ebony regarding her view on her daughter's race, this issue is chock-full of articles regarding mixed persons' views of themselves, their families, their mixed-raced children, and what they regard themselves as racially. The crying ensued as relief-that I am not alone, that others feel as I do, that I can share my feelings without the fear of judgement. That I can be honest about who I see myself as. Because this is about ME, not about others' feelings or perceptions of me. Not about what is "politically correct" regarding my raceor allowing society to push me into a "neat little box" of either Black or White. As an adoptee, my Black parents always made sure I knew what I was mixed with, b

What I Wish I Would've Done

Everyone handles grief differently. I would say I hold it at a distance, tolerating it in small spurts. My Great-Grandmother Donna Langdon died recently. Although I only knew her for a short time (being reunited 6-7 years ago after being adopted), I find myself missing her. I handle death in a very meticulous way. First, I being to tell myself that it will soon happen, sometimes preparing many, many years in advance. I have done this with my grandparents, and I did this with my great-grandmother. Some people say they "don't think about it," but I'm the opposite...I understand it as a normal part of life, I forewarn myself of it's pending coming, and gently remind myself every so often so I can figure out the best way for me to handle the situation. This may seem morbid to you, or insensitive even. Truth is, if I don't think about it, plan on it, I'm not sure how my grief process would end up. For me, death is the ultimate separation in this life. I'

Sometimes, I cry...

Today was terrible. I'm sitting now finally having gotten through it, with "Sex and the City: The Movie" playing in the background, my hair damp from an aromatic shower, and my honesty about to boil over and burn your lap. After a nearly two-week streak of overwhelming joy and happiness, hope for new possibilities in my life, today I crashed, and I mean h-a-r-d. Today mommy-ing was so rough. My son seems to never stop calling me. The cat never stops play-biting. My daughter gets clingy and whiny from getting up too early and wanting to nap before lunch. The long list of things to do on my day off (written by me, of course) is slowly being completed, but my fatigue isn't melting away. In fact, even after 9 hours of sleep, I was so tired today I was disappointed in my body, of all things. This is not an ordinary tired. This is a I've-been-trying-to-figure-out-why-I've-been-fatigued-for-over-a-year-and-my-doctors-don't-seem-to-care-or-know-anything-and-I