Skip to main content

A Woman's Call to Arms

Dear Friends,


Women are very interesting creatures. I think they are beautiful, mesmerizing, strong, captivating, remarkable creations. And then we open our mouths.

Women are emotional and sensitive. Duh. If you are a woman reading this right now you're impatient that I'm even mentioning these obvious characteristics. Here are other observations I've noted about women that aren't so, well, nice:

*Women are competitive (with men, for men, to be seen by men, to be seen with men by other women)
*Women are territorial (we don't like to share)
*Women are catty (we pick small items to nag about and may manage to throw things if you're "not listening)
*Women are gossips (we say something to your face and talk about you behind your back, within the same 10 minutes sometimes)
*Women are loyal (we will fight for a friend even if we AND they are wrong)
*Women are jealous (of child-making abilities, of someone's position in life, of someone's body/health/hair/car/lifestyle/man)
*Women don't play fair (we feel free to point out judgements among others but swat away others poking fingers at us)


There were women in the Bible who competed to have more children and to have access to the husbands that they shared. There were women who were naturally beautiful and some who weren't who competed for the spotlight and for attention and affection. I understand how this could spur jealousy and insecurity. Those darn Hebrew men and their laws.

Nowadays women compete to see who can look the smallest after having kids. Or who can look like they have had the least plastic surgery done (or maybe it's the most? I don't ever know). Nowadays women would rather fight and harm with words than stand up and share responsibility for conflicts, or to put unrealistic expectations on children who have yet to grow into themselves physically and emotionally. Women can be downright mean and evil. "Snakes in the grass" that we wouldn't trust "as far as we could throw them."

It's quite saddening. All of the gossip, the immaturity/insecurity, the lack of grace and humility, the impatience, the unwillingness to let go and move on, is hindering the God-given gifts that are endowed specifically on women. Women risk their lives in other parts of the world by just possessing a vagina; struggling to obtain equal rights as men in the workforce; struggling to be a part of the church ministry; struggling to fight trafficking and keep their integrity and dignity intact and protect their children; struggling to pray for their families to be reconciled, for grievances to be fought through, for those "stuck" to become "unstuck" and to move on and grow; struggling not to give up or in to the demands of their children and to be firm in their best judgements; struggling to be encouraged when others seem to make a life's habit of telling them where they fail or how they should grow and when they should do things; struggling just to live and be counted for.

Women would make such a bigger impact on the world if they let go of the petty attitudes, the griping, the complaining, the nagging and learn to forgive and be forgiven. They would be stronger as a gender society if they would support one another, speak the truth in love, accept humility and patience as constant battles in life that they intend to fight. Women would be so much more useful if they worked together and not against. The Enemy has placed so many triggers in our minds and hearts through society, the media, misinterpreting Scripture and other religious garb, and through placing women in our lives who are just as if not more unstable than we are.

Women, stand up! Grow up! Put on your armor and get out there to fight. Show your children how to be strong. Show your loved ones that you are supportive unconditionally. Don't force yourselves onto one another, as Jesus never forced himself on anyone, no matter how "right" He was. He made himself available. Be available! Listen to that friend, even if you're on a tight time crunch. Time is just a measure of space, relax! Find ways to better yourself, and put one foot in front of the other while you prioritize those things and do them to the best of your ability. Seek positive and fruitful counsel! Whether from a therapist, a women's group at church, any way you can find help to maintain your emotional and mental health. The Enemy uses others to break down the thinning wall of wellbeing that surrounds your heart and your mind. Guard your heart! Set up boundaries to high heaven if that's necessary. Your heart and mind are your own responsibility to guard and keep in tip-top shape for the well-being of your family unit, your work, and your mission in life.

The book of Titus instructs the older women to teach the younger women how to love their husbands and their children. Older women, please support the younger women! Talk to them! Offer help! Offer advice! Be humble and admit things you could have done better. Life should not be one big secret. It is most meaningful to share, encourage, and uplift the other women in your life so they are able to gain confidence in their abilities. Jesus came to disciple, save, and serve. Not necessarily in that order. Women, if we work together and follow these principles, our world will change. Make an effort to vow to yourself that you will be a better woman, thus a better leader and example to those who need your help. God help us all!

Love Monica

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White or Black? Choose ONE.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I was finally inspired to pick up my virtual "pen" and write after reading, crying, and being inspired by an article in the May issue of Ebony magazine. Catapulted in part by the remarks by Halle Berry in a past issue of Ebony regarding her view on her daughter's race, this issue is chock-full of articles regarding mixed persons' views of themselves, their families, their mixed-raced children, and what they regard themselves as racially. The crying ensued as relief-that I am not alone, that others feel as I do, that I can share my feelings without the fear of judgement. That I can be honest about who I see myself as. Because this is about ME, not about others' feelings or perceptions of me. Not about what is "politically correct" regarding my raceor allowing society to push me into a "neat little box" of either Black or White. As an adoptee, my Black parents always made sure I knew what I was mixed with, b

What I Wish I Would've Done

Everyone handles grief differently. I would say I hold it at a distance, tolerating it in small spurts. My Great-Grandmother Donna Langdon died recently. Although I only knew her for a short time (being reunited 6-7 years ago after being adopted), I find myself missing her. I handle death in a very meticulous way. First, I being to tell myself that it will soon happen, sometimes preparing many, many years in advance. I have done this with my grandparents, and I did this with my great-grandmother. Some people say they "don't think about it," but I'm the opposite...I understand it as a normal part of life, I forewarn myself of it's pending coming, and gently remind myself every so often so I can figure out the best way for me to handle the situation. This may seem morbid to you, or insensitive even. Truth is, if I don't think about it, plan on it, I'm not sure how my grief process would end up. For me, death is the ultimate separation in this life. I'

Sometimes, I cry...

Today was terrible. I'm sitting now finally having gotten through it, with "Sex and the City: The Movie" playing in the background, my hair damp from an aromatic shower, and my honesty about to boil over and burn your lap. After a nearly two-week streak of overwhelming joy and happiness, hope for new possibilities in my life, today I crashed, and I mean h-a-r-d. Today mommy-ing was so rough. My son seems to never stop calling me. The cat never stops play-biting. My daughter gets clingy and whiny from getting up too early and wanting to nap before lunch. The long list of things to do on my day off (written by me, of course) is slowly being completed, but my fatigue isn't melting away. In fact, even after 9 hours of sleep, I was so tired today I was disappointed in my body, of all things. This is not an ordinary tired. This is a I've-been-trying-to-figure-out-why-I've-been-fatigued-for-over-a-year-and-my-doctors-don't-seem-to-care-or-know-anything-and-I