Skip to main content

A Child Brings Life

I believe children are angels sent to show the rest of us people how to live. I believe they are indeed a reward from the Lord, and that they are the reason many of us are who we are today. I'm not talking about you're a "Mom" because you have a child. That's now the "who you are" I'm talking about. I'm talking about your character; your beliefs; your value system. Children really do help shape that.

When I'm in the car and an inappropriate song comes on, I'm ashamed if my son has to tell me it's inappropriate in order before I change it. I just hope they won't hear or understand the "naughty" parts. But they know, and it has edited what I listen to, and I believe the same goes for my husband. I re-think my urges to go out and hit the town whenever I think of it-what if they wake up sick and need me? What if there's a fire and I'm not there to save them? You start thinking a little more clearly and hyper-sensitively when a child is involved. For those of you turning up your nose and thinking of that one person you know who does NOT act or think in these ways (an immature parent), let's have good faith for every parent in this post. Just pretend.

Parents say they will do "anything" for their children. And I believe most of them; I know I feel the same way. My birth mother once told me she would jump in front of a bus to save my life. I didn't understand that kind of need to urgently protect until I had my own brood. Now I would fight a grown man bare-handed if I had to. I would touch a spider(my worst phobia ever) if it was on my child and they were screaming in fear.

I have been so grateful for my children lately. I have been really experiencing firsthand the tortures of attacks on my emotional wellbeing, and it's so easily tempting to think that if I could just take a handful of pills or step in front of a bus all the suffering could be over, like that. Then I think, "But how upsetting a solution for my family." How immature to want relief to come, just like that. Healing is an ongoing process, not something that is finally reached and never needs to be discovered again. I can honestly say that God has preserved my life by giving me angels who adore me and need me to be here for them.

For those of you sitting in shock over this last paragraph and reaching for the phone to bombard me with calls to see if I'm ok, please don't. I'm being very honest with you right now, so listen up. Many people who struggle with emotional wellbeing, or mental wellness/illness, WHATEVER name you stick it under, feel these thoughts quite commonly. They just aren't expressed because of fear; fear that others will call us crazy, fear that doctors will give us medication that will counteract our thoughts and turn us into "normal" robots, fear that we will be seen as inadequate, "not all there", or unstable. But aren't we all, in fact, all of these things? How is it different for me to struggle with wanting to live at times when suffering is at its peak than for you to want a Motrin when your migraine becomes unbearble. "But that's different," you protest. Is it? At some point, the pain needs to stop because it is overwhelming for you, and life needs to go on (yes, it is ironic that those who are depressed or suffer other emotional distresses want to move on by leaving this life.) We all share this human need to seek relief from pain b/c pain is not supposed to be a part of our biological makeup; in the beginning, there was no pain, suffering, heartache, or death. We are what's left after gazillions of years of turmoil. No one should be surprised to see that it's become downright unbearable after years of culminating worsening life events and natural disasters that have torn apart families, support systems, love, and grace. There is so much separation in our Christ-body that it is not uncommon to feel alone in one's struggles. And the Lord said, "It is not good for man to be alone" and offered the vow to "never leave us or forsake us." Lord, I know I need to lean on this promise more than ever.

Back to how children bring life: The spirits of children hold the key to the kingdom of heaven, which is a place that houses everlasting life. Children are trusting, forgiving, faith-filled, faith-defending, questioning, learning, and emotionally translucent individuals. They are beautiful and sweet, and have turned many a life around by simply existing. Even children who have not gotten to see this Earth but have fast-tracked to everlasting life (through death before birth) have the potential to teach us and make us better individuals. I praise God for the Life of our Earth, our children. Jesus Himself came to us, not as a King with a crown, but as a baby born in a barn in a feeding trough. But He brought so much inspiration and hope to this life knowing what He would grow to be and grow to do. I don't think it's by accident that God sent His Son in that form. God used a child to feed a stadium full of people, and healed a woman's demon-possessed daughter based on the persistence and wit of the non-Jewish mother, who fought for healing for her child. God used a baby Moses to lead a nation out of slavery (when he grew up, of course) and a young brother Joseph to feed hungry nations. He called a young boy named David to defend Israel and slay a menacing opponent when the grown men behind him cowered. God uses our children to sustain our world. I praise God right now. And although my job gets rough, and days seem to never end, and suffering seems unbearable, I want my children to wake up the next morning and see me there to get through it with them, and to learn what they have to teach me about life. My children have saved my life, and I know many others have been saved by their children. The next time you see one, thank God for that blessing, because Lord knows, we need them.

Love, Monica

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White or Black? Choose ONE.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I was finally inspired to pick up my virtual "pen" and write after reading, crying, and being inspired by an article in the May issue of Ebony magazine. Catapulted in part by the remarks by Halle Berry in a past issue of Ebony regarding her view on her daughter's race, this issue is chock-full of articles regarding mixed persons' views of themselves, their families, their mixed-raced children, and what they regard themselves as racially. The crying ensued as relief-that I am not alone, that others feel as I do, that I can share my feelings without the fear of judgement. That I can be honest about who I see myself as. Because this is about ME, not about others' feelings or perceptions of me. Not about what is "politically correct" regarding my raceor allowing society to push me into a "neat little box" of either Black or White. As an adoptee, my Black parents always made sure I knew what I was mixed with, b

What I Wish I Would've Done

Everyone handles grief differently. I would say I hold it at a distance, tolerating it in small spurts. My Great-Grandmother Donna Langdon died recently. Although I only knew her for a short time (being reunited 6-7 years ago after being adopted), I find myself missing her. I handle death in a very meticulous way. First, I being to tell myself that it will soon happen, sometimes preparing many, many years in advance. I have done this with my grandparents, and I did this with my great-grandmother. Some people say they "don't think about it," but I'm the opposite...I understand it as a normal part of life, I forewarn myself of it's pending coming, and gently remind myself every so often so I can figure out the best way for me to handle the situation. This may seem morbid to you, or insensitive even. Truth is, if I don't think about it, plan on it, I'm not sure how my grief process would end up. For me, death is the ultimate separation in this life. I'

Sometimes, I cry...

Today was terrible. I'm sitting now finally having gotten through it, with "Sex and the City: The Movie" playing in the background, my hair damp from an aromatic shower, and my honesty about to boil over and burn your lap. After a nearly two-week streak of overwhelming joy and happiness, hope for new possibilities in my life, today I crashed, and I mean h-a-r-d. Today mommy-ing was so rough. My son seems to never stop calling me. The cat never stops play-biting. My daughter gets clingy and whiny from getting up too early and wanting to nap before lunch. The long list of things to do on my day off (written by me, of course) is slowly being completed, but my fatigue isn't melting away. In fact, even after 9 hours of sleep, I was so tired today I was disappointed in my body, of all things. This is not an ordinary tired. This is a I've-been-trying-to-figure-out-why-I've-been-fatigued-for-over-a-year-and-my-doctors-don't-seem-to-care-or-know-anything-and-I