Skip to main content

The Mothering Journals, Post 3

I have so missed writing in my blog.

I think about writing all the time. It's just that most of my outbursts are focused on Facebook; it's quicker, easier, and I get a quicker social fix since people respond more quickly than they do to clicking an outside link and then commenting. But I do realize the need to compartmentalize the busyness that goes on in my mind and direct more to my blog. That way people can have a choice in the verbal vomit I subject them to.

Mothering has been very tiring recently. Still one of my top fav things to do, but being 20 weeks pregnant and experiencing the lovely fatigue that goes with that is pretty limiting. For example, a month and a half ago, decided to try preparing for a piano competition that is in my current state of Texas. The only issues I saw were that I had JUST found the competition, and just shy of two months to prepare for it. That means an entire 40 minutes worth of memorized music by a composer I have habitually avoided in the past would need to be crunched into the next 60 days. I was up for a challenge and not doing anything else but getting lost in my own world in our apartment with my chill'uns.

And of course I was reminded of why it's easier to NOT balance stay-at-home-momhood with working towards a serious goal. Doesn't mean you shouldn't, just that it's pretty darn hard. My toddler is my time-sucker. He is still nursing at 17 months (woo-hoo! AND ouch!) and although I'm teaching him moderation and "wait just a minute" he is pretty demanding. He also insists on sharing the keyboard with me during practice time and taking up the space I need to do quick arpeggios in the upper register or reach a bass note in the lower register. He is in my way all the time. Or making messes or turning on the water faucet in the bathroom and dumping things in the sink. He is a very active stinker.

I've still chugged through this past month and a half, having faith my persistence, dedication, and practicing would pay off by awarding me a great memorized program in a crazy short amount of time. I mean, professional musicians probably only take about 3 months to learn a new program and then perform it all over. I need to step my game up! But real life caught up to me...taking a break from kids to watch a TV program after they're in bed because I'm exhausted from keeping them alive all day, or need to spend time with my husband after he's been at work all day, leaving me with about an hour or two of practice time late at night. Not ideal. Plus I know how well I can do with some truly focused practice and a few hours a day. But even this superwoman just wants to sit and do nothing, much less practice.

I still have a week to see if I can make magic happen. If not I'm pretty much left with an almost prepared 40 minute program of Chopin music that I can try to market around town into a recital, which is another of my life goals (do a recital post-grad). There's also the crazy notion of saving my material to go perform in the actual Chopin International Competition in Warsaw, Poland in 2015 if I'm looking to have a panic attack along the way. Regardless, I won't give up on myself quite yet, because I've pulled off some crazy stunts in spite of circumstances along my journey.

Mothering includes sacrificing. Your time, your pleasures, your professions, and your dreams. I am a firm believer that "not now" in no way means "not ever." You just have to be creative and re-work your "right now" into something that you can deal with, like giving a recital around town to introduce yourself to the area (even though I HATE performing in public because of the anxiety). But I know that with my talent and abilities I could really share something amazing with the world if/when I am able to achieve my perfect balance.

I will never regret mothering. I will never regret this time. Because I won't be gifted with it again. My kids won't be young, wanting my attention, and driving me nuts forever. And I'm wise enough to listen to that voice in my head that says for me, what's important is what I've been doing all along. Yes, I can still try for my dreams and goals, but if they aren't perfectly executed to my or others expectations, I have to be okay with that and not beat up myself or resent my family for not giving me enough time to do them.

For now I will just try and see. And be grateful for everything that has happened along my journey. And embrace what is to come. I choose to be happy with imperfection in my household and in my career.

From a mother who seeks balance always,

Monica

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White or Black? Choose ONE.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I was finally inspired to pick up my virtual "pen" and write after reading, crying, and being inspired by an article in the May issue of Ebony magazine. Catapulted in part by the remarks by Halle Berry in a past issue of Ebony regarding her view on her daughter's race, this issue is chock-full of articles regarding mixed persons' views of themselves, their families, their mixed-raced children, and what they regard themselves as racially. The crying ensued as relief-that I am not alone, that others feel as I do, that I can share my feelings without the fear of judgement. That I can be honest about who I see myself as. Because this is about ME, not about others' feelings or perceptions of me. Not about what is "politically correct" regarding my raceor allowing society to push me into a "neat little box" of either Black or White. As an adoptee, my Black parents always made sure I knew what I was mixed with, b

What I Wish I Would've Done

Everyone handles grief differently. I would say I hold it at a distance, tolerating it in small spurts. My Great-Grandmother Donna Langdon died recently. Although I only knew her for a short time (being reunited 6-7 years ago after being adopted), I find myself missing her. I handle death in a very meticulous way. First, I being to tell myself that it will soon happen, sometimes preparing many, many years in advance. I have done this with my grandparents, and I did this with my great-grandmother. Some people say they "don't think about it," but I'm the opposite...I understand it as a normal part of life, I forewarn myself of it's pending coming, and gently remind myself every so often so I can figure out the best way for me to handle the situation. This may seem morbid to you, or insensitive even. Truth is, if I don't think about it, plan on it, I'm not sure how my grief process would end up. For me, death is the ultimate separation in this life. I'

Sometimes, I cry...

Today was terrible. I'm sitting now finally having gotten through it, with "Sex and the City: The Movie" playing in the background, my hair damp from an aromatic shower, and my honesty about to boil over and burn your lap. After a nearly two-week streak of overwhelming joy and happiness, hope for new possibilities in my life, today I crashed, and I mean h-a-r-d. Today mommy-ing was so rough. My son seems to never stop calling me. The cat never stops play-biting. My daughter gets clingy and whiny from getting up too early and wanting to nap before lunch. The long list of things to do on my day off (written by me, of course) is slowly being completed, but my fatigue isn't melting away. In fact, even after 9 hours of sleep, I was so tired today I was disappointed in my body, of all things. This is not an ordinary tired. This is a I've-been-trying-to-figure-out-why-I've-been-fatigued-for-over-a-year-and-my-doctors-don't-seem-to-care-or-know-anything-and-I