Skip to main content

How "Secret Life of the American Teenager" has helped me HEAL.

This is a severely risky post from me on many levels- for my self-respect, self-image, integrity, and the like. But it is one that will better all of these once these truths have been freed. Buckle up.

If you watch the show, "The Secret Life of the American Teenager," you will know exactly what I'm referring to in this post, or rather whom. If you don't know the show and could care less about it, just be a good sport and pretend.

As we all know, the show starts with Amy finding out she is pregnant after being coaxed into having unprotected sex at fifteen at band camp by the hot guy Ricky. Ricky beds all girls even though he has a girlfriend Adrian (who is my current TV girl crush). As you can imagine, this show is like a common day version of "Young and the Restless" which my mom used to watch faithfully every afternoon. This show is so yummy my mouth is watering right now.

Continuing on: Amy doesn't tell Ricky or her parents until the baby is almost born (slightly exaggerating here). She does tell her best friends, who have loosey-goosey mouths (duh, don't all high school girls!). Everyone finds out and treats her like she's a slutty weirdo and she goes through a painful year feeling lots of shame. She plans on adopting, then decides to keep the baby, who she ends up naming John. The rest of the episodes basically fast-forward to Ricky coming around, stopping his sexual rampade that were burying a painful abusive past, and steps up to be a great father to John and eventually fiance to Amy. Or something like that. They are currently fake married. Sorry if I ruined it for you.

In between the Amy/Ricky chaos (or Ramy, I hate that pairing), best friends backstab each other by sleeping with the others' girlfriends/ex-wives/boyfriends, another couple gets pregnant/married/divorced/miscarries, and lots of real hurtful things happen. Parents can't even keep their lives together in this show. It's chaos. But the writer is amazing, and the show is beautiful.

Cut to the chase. I didn't get pregnant as a teenager, but I did become pregnant after sleeping with the first guy I ever slept with. He's now my husband, but that didn't happen for a few years later, and after baby #2. Anywhoo, I had SO much to work through when I found out I was pregnant. My dad wanted to kick me off the insurance, I was a senior in undergrad, my music trio and I were bumping heads about our future now that this pregnancy popped up, a teacher reprimandingly (or maybe it was concernedly) told me this was going to "change my life" and "what happened to being Ms. Virtuous Woman 2005" (this pageant I entered and won pre-sex and pre-pregnancy) and I felt like horse poop. I was ashamed, embarrassed for my family, and...happy. I was experiencing new life in the making. Maybe I would forever be thrown into the pits of hell for experiencing something that was freeing and amazing and fun and physically rejuvenating with someone I really liked/then loved and now had grown his spawn in my belly and wasn't joined to him under religious standards, but I was happy. Forget the religious crap. Other Christians I knew were having sex, it was just protected. So they were enjoying the sin without the consequences. At least the consequences that had two arms and legs. And made your belly big and obvious that you had had sex. I call that faking it.

So like Amy, I went through school (although it was grown up school) with conflicting feelings all the time. I would be excited about my new baby, happy I had the ability to reproduce and happy that I could have a child and keep it. I was adopted when I was young, not a baby but young enough to barely remember any of it. I had good times and bad times, like anyone else, and who knows if it would've been better or worse with my natural parents vs. adoptive parents. Everyone did their best, and no one was perfect. I survived...hurting and angry, but alive nonetheless. Healing had to be taken into my own hands once I was free, and having my baby and being in a relationship with his father forced me to take responsibility for this. But that's jumping WAY ahead. That'll be in part II.

When I told my birth dad, his first response was "but I thought you weren't having sex!" Well, I explained to him, that wasn't completely a lie; it's just that since I had told him that, the sex-ing actually occurred. That is actually completely true. Just looked like I was lying. But anyways, obviously the fact that I was pregnant showed that unless forced or inebriated, I had willingly and mindfully engaged in the type of sexual activity that produces humans. Gotta love him.

One of my now-best-friends shook her head and smiled in disbelief; she DID just tell me a few days prior to my pregnancy test that there was absolutely NO excuse for anyone to get pregnant EVER because of the availability of birth control. This to a girl who once thought you could get pregnant from hugging a guy, due to her strict upbringing and the huge taboo of all things POSSIBLY leading to things leading to sex. Silly me. So, I didn't "fake it" and I got pregnant. That's what sex is literally for, ya know. That and intimacy.

Unlike Amy, I only had to change a little bit. I needed a job. Until then I had been sustained by scholarship. A music scholarship, American Indian Tuition Waiver, and an academic scholarship, the coveted Medallion Scholarship at WMU. I was already, like Amy, a dedicated student, hard worker, musician (although not a French hornist), and "good girl." Hey, good girls get pregnant too! In fact, I'd like to bet there's as many good girl pregnancies as bad girl pregnancies...we just expect the bad girls to get pregnant. Great expectations, society.

This is going to get even longer, so I'd better cap this and hail it as Part I. See you in the next chapter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White or Black? Choose ONE.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I was finally inspired to pick up my virtual "pen" and write after reading, crying, and being inspired by an article in the May issue of Ebony magazine. Catapulted in part by the remarks by Halle Berry in a past issue of Ebony regarding her view on her daughter's race, this issue is chock-full of articles regarding mixed persons' views of themselves, their families, their mixed-raced children, and what they regard themselves as racially. The crying ensued as relief-that I am not alone, that others feel as I do, that I can share my feelings without the fear of judgement. That I can be honest about who I see myself as. Because this is about ME, not about others' feelings or perceptions of me. Not about what is "politically correct" regarding my raceor allowing society to push me into a "neat little box" of either Black or White. As an adoptee, my Black parents always made sure I knew what I was mixed with, b

What I Wish I Would've Done

Everyone handles grief differently. I would say I hold it at a distance, tolerating it in small spurts. My Great-Grandmother Donna Langdon died recently. Although I only knew her for a short time (being reunited 6-7 years ago after being adopted), I find myself missing her. I handle death in a very meticulous way. First, I being to tell myself that it will soon happen, sometimes preparing many, many years in advance. I have done this with my grandparents, and I did this with my great-grandmother. Some people say they "don't think about it," but I'm the opposite...I understand it as a normal part of life, I forewarn myself of it's pending coming, and gently remind myself every so often so I can figure out the best way for me to handle the situation. This may seem morbid to you, or insensitive even. Truth is, if I don't think about it, plan on it, I'm not sure how my grief process would end up. For me, death is the ultimate separation in this life. I'

Sometimes, I cry...

Today was terrible. I'm sitting now finally having gotten through it, with "Sex and the City: The Movie" playing in the background, my hair damp from an aromatic shower, and my honesty about to boil over and burn your lap. After a nearly two-week streak of overwhelming joy and happiness, hope for new possibilities in my life, today I crashed, and I mean h-a-r-d. Today mommy-ing was so rough. My son seems to never stop calling me. The cat never stops play-biting. My daughter gets clingy and whiny from getting up too early and wanting to nap before lunch. The long list of things to do on my day off (written by me, of course) is slowly being completed, but my fatigue isn't melting away. In fact, even after 9 hours of sleep, I was so tired today I was disappointed in my body, of all things. This is not an ordinary tired. This is a I've-been-trying-to-figure-out-why-I've-been-fatigued-for-over-a-year-and-my-doctors-don't-seem-to-care-or-know-anything-and-I