Skip to main content

HAIR!

Happy Saturday to you lovelys!

I have an obsession with hair. I can talk about hair all day! Maybe because I am fascinated by all the different textures of hair we all possess within our different cultures. Growing up, hair was a PAIN for me because I didn't know how to manage it.

I am tri-racial (lol): Black, White, and Native American. I was adopted at a young age into a Black family, all of whom had Black hair. God bless my Mom, I know she truly tried, but I am convinced she had no clue how to take care of my hair. She tried using Black hair care products (like Blue Magic-AUGHGH!), which were always too heavy for my hair and made it greasy. She tried braiding my hair before, but it always started getting flyaways and coming loose after a couple days. And she NEVER used heat on my hair; I had to beg her to straighten my hair with the pressing comb or to curl it with the curling iron. In her defense, I had OODLES of hair...it was thick and all over the place, but it was beautiful! My mom always made me brush it out when I did it (thus frizzing out my curls, ugh!) and my hair wasn't considered "done" unless it was brushed back.

I actually grew to hate my hair. I didn't know how to take care of it, and obviously neither did my mom. My natural texture is wavy/loose-curly. Whenever I wanted to wear my hair down, my mom would tell me it looked ugly. That really hurt my feelings, and to this day I resent my mom for telling me that. What parent tells their child that anything about them looks ugly? When I look at my mom's hair (short, nappy, always breaking-off,etc.) I came to the conclusion that she may have been jealous. When I was in high school and taking care of my own hair, she would keep the hair care products in her room, and I would have to ask to use them. If I asked when she wasn't in a good mood, she would come up with a reason why I couldn't use the products, and I had to go to school with dry, frizzy hair-NOT a good look. I felt terrible about myself and had low self-esteem at a very critical time in my young life.

By now, you're probably figuring out that something about my upbringing may have been a little amiss. And indeed it was. But that's another post. Long story short, I didn't learn to love my hair (and me) until I was in college. In college, I washed my hair whenever I wanted. I didn't always put product in it and wore it natural. And I ALWAYS wear it down. I will rarely ever put my hair up. I tell myself that my hair is beautiful, and I believe it. Now, along with learning to love my hair came learning how to take care of it. I learned that curly hair care requires different products and caretaking routine than coarser/nappier types of hair, and of course a different regimen than fine/straight hair. I went through a phase where I dyed my hair all the time, every month sometimes. I've chopped it off, had it long, and tried sew-in weave (once!).

I used to wish my hair was more "black" when I was growing up, meaning more coarse and nappy. I would admire other Black or mixed girls with different texture hair and admire how they could gel their hair down, conform it how they wanted to, and I wanted that. I wanted STABILITY with my hair too. Part of learning to love my hair in college involved learning that I am unique, as is my hair. All hair is good hair, we just have to learn how to take care of it. I will post a few pics of my hair throughout the years.

Love yourselves, and your hair, my beauty queens!

Moni






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White or Black? Choose ONE.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I was finally inspired to pick up my virtual "pen" and write after reading, crying, and being inspired by an article in the May issue of Ebony magazine. Catapulted in part by the remarks by Halle Berry in a past issue of Ebony regarding her view on her daughter's race, this issue is chock-full of articles regarding mixed persons' views of themselves, their families, their mixed-raced children, and what they regard themselves as racially. The crying ensued as relief-that I am not alone, that others feel as I do, that I can share my feelings without the fear of judgement. That I can be honest about who I see myself as. Because this is about ME, not about others' feelings or perceptions of me. Not about what is "politically correct" regarding my raceor allowing society to push me into a "neat little box" of either Black or White. As an adoptee, my Black parents always made sure I knew what I was mixed with, b

What I Wish I Would've Done

Everyone handles grief differently. I would say I hold it at a distance, tolerating it in small spurts. My Great-Grandmother Donna Langdon died recently. Although I only knew her for a short time (being reunited 6-7 years ago after being adopted), I find myself missing her. I handle death in a very meticulous way. First, I being to tell myself that it will soon happen, sometimes preparing many, many years in advance. I have done this with my grandparents, and I did this with my great-grandmother. Some people say they "don't think about it," but I'm the opposite...I understand it as a normal part of life, I forewarn myself of it's pending coming, and gently remind myself every so often so I can figure out the best way for me to handle the situation. This may seem morbid to you, or insensitive even. Truth is, if I don't think about it, plan on it, I'm not sure how my grief process would end up. For me, death is the ultimate separation in this life. I'

Sometimes, I cry...

Today was terrible. I'm sitting now finally having gotten through it, with "Sex and the City: The Movie" playing in the background, my hair damp from an aromatic shower, and my honesty about to boil over and burn your lap. After a nearly two-week streak of overwhelming joy and happiness, hope for new possibilities in my life, today I crashed, and I mean h-a-r-d. Today mommy-ing was so rough. My son seems to never stop calling me. The cat never stops play-biting. My daughter gets clingy and whiny from getting up too early and wanting to nap before lunch. The long list of things to do on my day off (written by me, of course) is slowly being completed, but my fatigue isn't melting away. In fact, even after 9 hours of sleep, I was so tired today I was disappointed in my body, of all things. This is not an ordinary tired. This is a I've-been-trying-to-figure-out-why-I've-been-fatigued-for-over-a-year-and-my-doctors-don't-seem-to-care-or-know-anything-and-I