Skip to main content

D-H-S

How many of you dread to say the above acronym but yet know that in our economy it's particularly IMPOSSIBLE to avoid it?

D-H-S-....dun dun dun...aka Department of Human Services. The place that provides food stamps, emergency shut-off assistance, childcare assistance, medicaid/medicare, probably more I've been fortunate enough to not need. If you haven't been there yourself, you know somebody that's been there, and has been going there for years. Let's chat about different aspects of this paradoxical part of our life that never quite seems to give the help that founds its existence.

I was in this building today. I hate the way it looks-in a run-down section of town, set far away from the street. It smells of sick people and dark thoughts. As if to aid this concept the lights inside don't seem to be able to shine brightly, causing your eyes to adjust as you duck your head and walk through the door, hoping you won't come into contact with anyone you know, especially not one of your students or or lower-status colleagues. That just makes you look bad-at least that's what you're thinking. It makes you feel comforted to see well-dressed people coming in humbly to turn in applications, just so you know that whatever caused you to be sitting there yourself can't all be from pure laziness. Others are feeling the heat too; phew.

To be ashamed to ask for and receive help from the government that stands to serve and provide for its people is a disgrace. We live in a world where more cash advance stores are popping up than I've ever seen, and even see gas stations and pizza places advertising that they accept EBT (electronic benefits transfer, or a bridge card). President Obama passed a health care bill that now allows kids to stay under their parents' insurance until age 26, even if they're married or no longer a student. More and more students are drowning in debt because of "necessary" college education (what an oxymoron!). Something that we need to have puts us further behind than when we started, and may take much of our working years to pay back. Adults are ashamed about losing their jobs after years of good, solid work. And the list goes on and on.

AMERICA, WAKE THE HELL UP! Who gave us this notion that we are belittling ourselves when we ask our "caretakers" for help? A long time ago as a college student, I was standing in Meijer's behind a woman that took out her bridge card to pay for food. A comment was made (can't remember by whom) and she grimaced, saying, "I really wish I didn't have to use it, but I need it." To which I replied (feeling lucky to have one at the time!), "Well, I don't look at it that way, it's a blessing to me." It WAS a blessing to be able to buy enough food to feed myself (and friends who didn't have food) for a whole month. Everyone I went to college with had one it seemed, at least all the Black kids. I have started seeing more and more White students at DHS every time I am "coerced" to drop in-mostly by the lousy work of my oh-so-helpful caseworker. But that's another post.

I'm tired of walking into DHS and looking down, seeing others look down. No one looks at each other, and hopes no one is looking at them. Couples holding hands sit there quietly, single mom's breathe large impatient sighs as their child or children scream and "fall out" uncontrollably, the security officers look at you like mincemeat, and everyone that can help you talks to you like you just climbed out of a sewer pit AND are learning impaired. I see now why we feel belittled. We are belittled by this very department we crawl ashamedly to for help. How much I resent this treatment, and our acceptance of it.

I have often daydreamed of walking up to the lady behind the window or the security guard who snobbed me off and saying loud enough for everyone to hear: "Hey! I know you think we are all low-lifes with no job, multiple children, no car, lazy spirits, and homeless are doggone near-to-it. However, I would LOVE to inform you that I personally work MANY different jobs, have two children (and yes, their father lives with us!), rarely go clothes shopping or shop thrift (which I'm proud of saving money by doing , cuz I love the clothes I find!), cook at home instead of eating out all the time, don't splurge on expensive gadgets, toys, electronics, have a car I bought myself with CASH, and am proud of myself and value myself as a human being. So, STOP treating me like I have brought my need for assistance upon myself, or don't deserve superior treatment, because someday you may have to come to ME for help. Have a GREAT day!" and go and take my seat with poise and authority, or else dash out with an air of excellence about me.

But until I work up the courage to do that, I'll just sit quietly like everyone else, hating the circumstances but needing the help. And hating that we as a people in AMERICA can't stand up for our deserved better treatment. Next time you go to DHS, smile at everyone and act professional so they can stop sticking us all in the same category and labeling us. And by us, I mean those who dare admit we need help, aka THE STRONG ONES.

Let's be stronger, America.

Fiercely,
Moni

Comments

  1. So true! The PURPOSE of the government is to improve our collective lives, not make us feel bad about taking help that we subsidize by being citizens of this great country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your description of DHS. I had to use them for a EBT card while unemployed.

    I was glad I could finalize my food stamp arrangements via internet & over the phone because I felt ashamed if I had to go to the office.

    However, overtime, I have run into professional collegues who worked at GM like I did and using DHS services, and they are in the same boat.

    I have been a proud person but God took that pride away and replaced it with acceptance that it is a blessing to receive that help. So I walk with a smile on my face and thank God daily for all his blessings.

    The more I praise Him, the more I receive blessings. Your blog is so inspiring and this particular one spoke to my situation.

    Continue to let God use your voice to inspire, uplift and inform.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White or Black? Choose ONE.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I was finally inspired to pick up my virtual "pen" and write after reading, crying, and being inspired by an article in the May issue of Ebony magazine. Catapulted in part by the remarks by Halle Berry in a past issue of Ebony regarding her view on her daughter's race, this issue is chock-full of articles regarding mixed persons' views of themselves, their families, their mixed-raced children, and what they regard themselves as racially. The crying ensued as relief-that I am not alone, that others feel as I do, that I can share my feelings without the fear of judgement. That I can be honest about who I see myself as. Because this is about ME, not about others' feelings or perceptions of me. Not about what is "politically correct" regarding my raceor allowing society to push me into a "neat little box" of either Black or White. As an adoptee, my Black parents always made sure I knew what I was mixed with, b

What I Wish I Would've Done

Everyone handles grief differently. I would say I hold it at a distance, tolerating it in small spurts. My Great-Grandmother Donna Langdon died recently. Although I only knew her for a short time (being reunited 6-7 years ago after being adopted), I find myself missing her. I handle death in a very meticulous way. First, I being to tell myself that it will soon happen, sometimes preparing many, many years in advance. I have done this with my grandparents, and I did this with my great-grandmother. Some people say they "don't think about it," but I'm the opposite...I understand it as a normal part of life, I forewarn myself of it's pending coming, and gently remind myself every so often so I can figure out the best way for me to handle the situation. This may seem morbid to you, or insensitive even. Truth is, if I don't think about it, plan on it, I'm not sure how my grief process would end up. For me, death is the ultimate separation in this life. I'

Sometimes, I cry...

Today was terrible. I'm sitting now finally having gotten through it, with "Sex and the City: The Movie" playing in the background, my hair damp from an aromatic shower, and my honesty about to boil over and burn your lap. After a nearly two-week streak of overwhelming joy and happiness, hope for new possibilities in my life, today I crashed, and I mean h-a-r-d. Today mommy-ing was so rough. My son seems to never stop calling me. The cat never stops play-biting. My daughter gets clingy and whiny from getting up too early and wanting to nap before lunch. The long list of things to do on my day off (written by me, of course) is slowly being completed, but my fatigue isn't melting away. In fact, even after 9 hours of sleep, I was so tired today I was disappointed in my body, of all things. This is not an ordinary tired. This is a I've-been-trying-to-figure-out-why-I've-been-fatigued-for-over-a-year-and-my-doctors-don't-seem-to-care-or-know-anything-and-I