Skip to main content

As Life Zips Along

Oh sh**. It's really time to get up again?
Why do I feel like crap? Oh yeah, I got up with my daughter who awakened me with her terrible squeals in the middle of the night because she had to go to the bathroom but seemed to forget how to get up and walk in there. Then proceeded to whine and cry for God knows why even after I led her by the nose pretty much to the toilet and cleaned her up. Then I couldn't go back to sleep.

Oh shoot, husband has to work today? Nope, didn't make a lunch. Too tired to make one at night and can't drag myself out of bed to do it in the morning. Good luck fending for yourself, dear! You could take the leftovers from last night, but oh wait! You don't like leftovers. Tough luck.

 Oh why dost my body betray me? Too much stress makes my chest tight and it travels up my throat. Dear God, please help me get this under control before I get throat cancer from always carrying my stress there. Researching as many stress-relieving breathing exercises as I can to get me through the next half of my day. Why is life so crazy!! Why why why!

Your dreams can wait. No they can't you fool, you're getting older by the second. You may or may not have gray hairs by next year. Between taking care of so many people, you forget to take care of yourself. Did I even brush my teeth today? Hopefully I showered yesterday because it sure ain't happening today! Oh good, I do have some deoderant to at least spare those I come in contact with.

Oh my gosh! Why is it so freaking hot? My hair has dramatically changed texture and shape on my overnight. I actually have to plan what to do with it. I will never take another "good" hair day for granted. The least I can do is make sure my daughter's hair looks halfway decent. Which doesn't take too much effort. Just water and a hair tie. Ray Charles could handle that!

Your house looks like crap. In fact there may be crap hidden somewhere behind something in there as long as it's taken you to get around to cleaning it. At least you make some sort of effort to keep the kitchen some kind of sanitized. And provide a few crumbs for the ants. Oh and you're on the Food Waste Control team right? The President I hear? Well, there's your philanthropic deed for the day. Well done. No more children could possibly starve because you didn't waste. Why doesn't everyone else get this!!!

I'm surprised your husband doesn't leave you because you forget to have sex sometimes. Or would rather fall into a sleep coma because you're so. dang. tired. but oh wait! Be a good wife and at least offer SOMEthing. Bake some brownies or something. Rub a back or a foot or something! Lick an ear, sheesh. What the heck is wrong with you? You were designed to withstand the toughest stressors, pressures, and germs. You have the American dream, no debt, a healthy family, a stand-up guy, and he doesn't make you feel bad about your body that stretched in every which way to push those boogers out. He actually likes and desires it. Schedule him an eye appointment. Or a mental health checkup! Or keep complaining about having the best things that come in the most curious packages.

And don't forget when you fight and scream and maybe throw something nearby because you can't agree on how to load the dishwasher, that the scum on the surface could be hiding rich soil underneath. Every relationship, and home, needs a deep cleaning once in a while. Remember that the only thing that matters in this story is love. It is what began it and what should finish it. There is no "u" in love. Unless you spell it like I do when I'm lazy (luv). I mean, of course you love yourself and all that. But loving others means you do things you wouldn't do otherwise. It means you try a little harder in an area even when you may feel like you're one call away from the asylum. It means you don't forget what GOOD your loved ones are doing in your life. When they help you, when they tell you things that build you up. When they show up even when they weren't there when you felt you really needed them.

Life is speeding along, not waiting for any of us to "get it." You grab what you can out of every day. And you either use it or lose it. Make it apply or let it fly. Two beautiful quotes in my journals inspire me to remember that one day this life will end and I will need to know in my soul I've done my best and matured all along the way.
"There is nothing more beautiful in the story of a life than its moments of love."-Gwen Ford Faulkenberry
"Welcome life's changing winds, for change can be a miraculous gift." -Flavia Weedn

In all that circles around in the carousel of your life, jumping off and jumping on, driving you to your limits and holding you back from the edge, remember LOVE. Love should be the reason you continue (within reason) and the reason you mature more. It's the reason you strive to expand your thinking, your experiences, your knowledge. Because on the day you rest forever, you will want to feel that you remembered to let Love lead the way. Love makes things possible. You won't always feel it there, or feel like feeling it at all. But if it can be a root to your life's work I believe it will make the things that branch off of you beautiful, inspiring, attractive, and fulfilling. Life is going to speed by in a blur. Squeeze love into it.

Monica
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White or Black? Choose ONE.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I was finally inspired to pick up my virtual "pen" and write after reading, crying, and being inspired by an article in the May issue of Ebony magazine. Catapulted in part by the remarks by Halle Berry in a past issue of Ebony regarding her view on her daughter's race, this issue is chock-full of articles regarding mixed persons' views of themselves, their families, their mixed-raced children, and what they regard themselves as racially. The crying ensued as relief-that I am not alone, that others feel as I do, that I can share my feelings without the fear of judgement. That I can be honest about who I see myself as. Because this is about ME, not about others' feelings or perceptions of me. Not about what is "politically correct" regarding my raceor allowing society to push me into a "neat little box" of either Black or White. As an adoptee, my Black parents always made sure I knew what I was mixed with, b

What I Wish I Would've Done

Everyone handles grief differently. I would say I hold it at a distance, tolerating it in small spurts. My Great-Grandmother Donna Langdon died recently. Although I only knew her for a short time (being reunited 6-7 years ago after being adopted), I find myself missing her. I handle death in a very meticulous way. First, I being to tell myself that it will soon happen, sometimes preparing many, many years in advance. I have done this with my grandparents, and I did this with my great-grandmother. Some people say they "don't think about it," but I'm the opposite...I understand it as a normal part of life, I forewarn myself of it's pending coming, and gently remind myself every so often so I can figure out the best way for me to handle the situation. This may seem morbid to you, or insensitive even. Truth is, if I don't think about it, plan on it, I'm not sure how my grief process would end up. For me, death is the ultimate separation in this life. I'

Sometimes, I cry...

Today was terrible. I'm sitting now finally having gotten through it, with "Sex and the City: The Movie" playing in the background, my hair damp from an aromatic shower, and my honesty about to boil over and burn your lap. After a nearly two-week streak of overwhelming joy and happiness, hope for new possibilities in my life, today I crashed, and I mean h-a-r-d. Today mommy-ing was so rough. My son seems to never stop calling me. The cat never stops play-biting. My daughter gets clingy and whiny from getting up too early and wanting to nap before lunch. The long list of things to do on my day off (written by me, of course) is slowly being completed, but my fatigue isn't melting away. In fact, even after 9 hours of sleep, I was so tired today I was disappointed in my body, of all things. This is not an ordinary tired. This is a I've-been-trying-to-figure-out-why-I've-been-fatigued-for-over-a-year-and-my-doctors-don't-seem-to-care-or-know-anything-and-I