Skip to main content

The First 25 Years

Turning 25 freaked me out, mostly because I felt as if I was approaching a huge deadline...the "I'm now old" deadline. I felt old, unaccomplished, broke, and without direction. I felt that if I didn't get ahold of my visions and shake them until they scattered out pieces of my dreams I was going to turn grey the next day, and possibly die the day after that. I felt panicked, as if life was suddenly moving too fast for my comfort.

But what I've learned during this year has been so worthwhile I felt compelled to share with you just what this year has brought me so far(granted, I've only been 25 for 3 months, barely!). I've learned:

1. How to keep loving myself
     After having two kids, a softer belly, more stretch marks than I cared for, and acne that suddenly wouldn't go away, I felt more at peace with my body than ever before. I started being more aware of how the way I dressed sent a message across about how I felt about myself. Reading "What to Wear For the Rest of Your Life" by Kim Johnson Gross sent such a reviving and refreshing vision of clothing and caring for my body that I will never forget. And as long as we're on the subject of clothing (which costs money!), I've learned to....

2. Save money!
   My husband and I challenged ourselves to take up the cross of financial health after reading Dave Ramsey's "The Money Makeover." With clear, simple, and logical directions it seemed crazy not to start turning our situation around and get serious about being good financial stewards of the money we were blessed to earn. This has included, for me, NO SERIOUS SHOPPING. I have not updated my wardrobe in a very long time because we are living below our means in order to save up a beginning emergency fund ($1000), and pay of all of our debts. I have calculated that by living below our means and dropping every extra penny towards extra payments, we should be completely debt free with a fully-funded emergency fund in about 2 years. A fully-funded emergency fund is 3-6 months of expenses. For us, that's roughly $10-11,000 that needs to be saved "just in case." The bottom line? Saving is hard and requires discipline! We're currently working hard at our goals, but eating out has been one setback for us....ok, for me! I really miss "stopping by" the stores on a free afternoon just to see what sales there are. Not only has NOT being an impulse buyer while on a budget kept my wardrobe/shoe/jewelry collection to a minimum, it makes me grateful that I really do have just what I need. And if I really NEED something, I usually have money to buy it...with CASH. We no longer carry credit cards of any kind, PTL!

3. Couponing
   Okay, so although this falls under 'Save money', I had to list it separately b/c it is a hobby all on its own. It takes time and dedication to keep a coupon binder that holds coups for groceries, health/beauty, and household items. Moreover, it takes alertness to remember to actually USE them. We save on average $5-7 using only coupons on a shopping trip, which may not seem like much, but multiply that by 4 for the month, then by 12 for the year; it =$240-336 saved/yr! That's 2 extra car/loan/credit card payments/gas fill-ups/Christmas money/you-name-it for the year! Plus we have more than enough in our stockpile to last for a few months without buying anything like soap/shampoo/deoderant/detergent/softener/conditioner/toothbrushes/etc. It's just fun to save! And couponing is absolutely free!

4. How to Love My Husband
    This is such an important thing to share for me. There were so many times as a newleywed where I doubted my ability to be "good at it." I felt my husband and already knew each other way to well, annoyed each other far too often, and had too much obstinance and temper between the two of us to actually succeed in our union as husband and wife. There were times when I wondered if I knew what the hell I was doing getting married! There where times when I was scared because of high divorce rates and 1-year marriage streaks. Finally, I prayed: 'God, please show me HOW to love my husband. Help me see him how You see him. Help me respect him, cherish him, and submit to him not how I see fit but how you see fit.' That prayer has changed my whole perspective on love and marriage. None of us are capable of making relationships work on our own. As humans, we simply give up!We feel we have probable cause to stop putting in work overtime because of what someone else  ain't doing! Stand up and take hold of your end of the reins, and let's keep those divorce rates at bay! Only God can show us how to truly love one another, and I know in my heart He has given me a new love for my husband, and I admire him and think about how in love with him I am every day. I am glad I didn't take any easy ways out or rationalize why he didn't deserve me. If you think about it, marriages are made of two people who don't deserve each other but choose to love each other. That's what Christ does for us. Marriages are mirror images of Christ's relationship with us as individuals. I love you Shawn!

5. How to let go
 I've learned to let go of thoughts and relationships that are unhealthy for me. Fantasies of the 'shoulda-woulda-coulda's' as well as regrets of ways that I've acted that are over and done with are demons I constantly fought against. With the help of my spiritualy journey, a good therapist, and a supportive husband and kids, I've learned how to just be a human. How to forgive myself. How to forgive others. And how to know that my job as a Christian woman is to treat others how I would want to be treated even if it means I WON'T receive the same treatment from those I love and admire. I can only be responsible for my actions, not others'. Learning this has been such a staple event in my ability to move forward and be happy.


I'm sure I've learned many other things along the way; I've definitely learned to thank God more and be much more grateful for my gifts, friends, family, and the things I believed I've been called to do. I've learned not to attach a paycheck to my calling (they sure don't teach you that in college!) and that a person and their intelligence is not measured by how much education they've received. You learn how to do things better by messing them up the first time, and you learn how NOT to act by observing hurtful actions done by those around you. I will always be a student in this life, and I pray that God sees how hard I try, that he knows the sincerity of my heart, and sees fit to bless me with multiple more years in which to seek Him and learn how to be Christ-like to others. What I have learned, my friends, is that I am blessed beyond belief, successful, and full of potential to bring my light and happiness to others in something as simple as a smile or a compliment. What have you learned so far?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White or Black? Choose ONE.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I was finally inspired to pick up my virtual "pen" and write after reading, crying, and being inspired by an article in the May issue of Ebony magazine. Catapulted in part by the remarks by Halle Berry in a past issue of Ebony regarding her view on her daughter's race, this issue is chock-full of articles regarding mixed persons' views of themselves, their families, their mixed-raced children, and what they regard themselves as racially. The crying ensued as relief-that I am not alone, that others feel as I do, that I can share my feelings without the fear of judgement. That I can be honest about who I see myself as. Because this is about ME, not about others' feelings or perceptions of me. Not about what is "politically correct" regarding my raceor allowing society to push me into a "neat little box" of either Black or White. As an adoptee, my Black parents always made sure I knew what I was mixed with, b

What I Wish I Would've Done

Everyone handles grief differently. I would say I hold it at a distance, tolerating it in small spurts. My Great-Grandmother Donna Langdon died recently. Although I only knew her for a short time (being reunited 6-7 years ago after being adopted), I find myself missing her. I handle death in a very meticulous way. First, I being to tell myself that it will soon happen, sometimes preparing many, many years in advance. I have done this with my grandparents, and I did this with my great-grandmother. Some people say they "don't think about it," but I'm the opposite...I understand it as a normal part of life, I forewarn myself of it's pending coming, and gently remind myself every so often so I can figure out the best way for me to handle the situation. This may seem morbid to you, or insensitive even. Truth is, if I don't think about it, plan on it, I'm not sure how my grief process would end up. For me, death is the ultimate separation in this life. I'

Sometimes, I cry...

Today was terrible. I'm sitting now finally having gotten through it, with "Sex and the City: The Movie" playing in the background, my hair damp from an aromatic shower, and my honesty about to boil over and burn your lap. After a nearly two-week streak of overwhelming joy and happiness, hope for new possibilities in my life, today I crashed, and I mean h-a-r-d. Today mommy-ing was so rough. My son seems to never stop calling me. The cat never stops play-biting. My daughter gets clingy and whiny from getting up too early and wanting to nap before lunch. The long list of things to do on my day off (written by me, of course) is slowly being completed, but my fatigue isn't melting away. In fact, even after 9 hours of sleep, I was so tired today I was disappointed in my body, of all things. This is not an ordinary tired. This is a I've-been-trying-to-figure-out-why-I've-been-fatigued-for-over-a-year-and-my-doctors-don't-seem-to-care-or-know-anything-and-I