Skip to main content

Are you Ready to be Loved?

It's Saturday morning. I am sitting with my  coffee, apple, and bagel. I am content with my two children across the room playing computer games, and still high from the intimate lovemaking my husband and I shared last night. I am ready to be loved, and I embrace it. I am happy.

Why share so much? I am satisfied with food in my belly. I see my babies playing contently. My husband and I are loving to each other. I feel satisfied. That's why I am ready to be loved and ready to embrace it.

Daily, I must decide how much I will allow myself to be loved and by whom. Women are notorious for allowing relationships to frustrate and dwindle by placing impossible demands upon their partners for love. Not that women are impossible of being loved by others, or satisfyingly so...women forget that one must self-love to accept outer love.


Remember how it felt when your best friend ran to you in school and whispered that someone liked you? You felt giddy, excited, powerful, noticed, and important. When we are younger, we accept love so easily, and as we grow we realize there are insecurities that must definitely keep us from being loved by another, that someone else must obviously see and if they had any sense wouldn't dare be interested in loving us for the long haul. We defeat ourselves and our right to be loved as we are, without becoming perfect. But yet we demand a perfect love that is to surpass our insecurities, which is unattainable for anyone but God to fulfill.

The first person in our lives to love us was not our siblings, our parents, our friends. The first One to love us was God, who loved and loves us TO DEATH. While we were yet sinning, Christ died for mankind. He called us royalty (1 Peter 2:9); He is our greatest Encourager (2 Thess 2:16-17); when we are broken and hurting, He is close to us (Ps. 34:18); His death was the best demonstration of His love for us (1 John 4:10); He gave up everything to gain our love (Rom 8:31-32); NOTHING will ever separate us from His love (Rom 8:38-39); He will ALWAYS be our Abba Father (Eph. 3:14-15); We are His most treasured possession (Ex. 19:5); He knows EVERYTHING about us (Ps. 139:1); He chose us when planning creation (Eph. 1:11-12); He knit us together in our mother's womb (Ps. 139:18); It is His desire to lavish love upon us (1 John 3:1); He is our provider and meets ALL our needs (Matt. 6:31-33); His thought toward us are countless (Ps. 139:17-18); and He LOVES US WITH AN EVERLASTING LOVE (Jer. 31:3). WOW! Our Maker has rejoiced over us and wants to do good by us, wants to LOVE us, and has done so since before we breathed our first breath outside of our Mother's womb. How does it make you feel to know someone so unabashedly is in love with you? It makes me feel like a million bucks!

Once we understand what unconditional love is through God's example of love towards us (while we were YET sinners, Christ DIED for us!), we are ready to take the next (and hardest) step: learning to exhibit self-love. Unfortunately, as imperfect humans, this often comes through learning a lesson that often includes losing someone we really love before we can realize how important this step is.

My first boyfriend and I were very much in love. I loved him so much I smothered him. Years later after we broke up, I understood it wasn't exactly my love that smothered him, it was my insecurities. It was my heart, my broken past, my desire to heal that I mistook for love and begged him to love me in spite of. It was me seeking acceptance through physical touch (though we were both trying to remain chaste); it was me being jealous of him taking pictures with other girls (fear that I would be replaced); it was me wanting him to spend ALL his free moments with me (fear of being alone even for a healthy while); and me even being willing to spend my Spring Break praying and fasting for our relationship (which lasted about 1.5 hungry days). I take responsiblity for my part in not making that relationship succeed, and that loss still saddens me to this day as that person was a very special and important part of my life, especially during that time. But through that experience I am able to spot and redirect those same urges in my current relationship and marriage. I now have ME time (blogging/vlogging/Youtubing etc.), I now take care of myself as if I love myself (painting nails, doing hair, pursuing wellness), I seek to know myself outside of my mothering and wife-ing duties (studying Scripture, being open and honest with myself and others, developing new friendships), and staying true to my gifts (music, hospitality, serving, leading, inspiring, and learning). Self-love is a difficult step because we were conditioned as children to seek for loving approval from parents, family,teachers, reverends, friends, teammates, and employers. Being confident in yourself as someone who is loved unconditionally by God is a fireproof way to keep from attaching your insecurities to another in desperation to be loved. Being in love with yourself BY YOURSELF is a very lonesome experience, yet very empowering.

So how do we prepare ourselves to be loved by our partner? I'll break it down for you:

1. Know who you are by knowing WHOSE you are....and repeat this to yourself daily.
2. Allow yourself to be  open with yourself, fixing and working on your insecurities until you love who you are and the direction of growth you are headed in.
3. DO NOT entertain thoughts of judgement and condemnation about yourself to continue-you must constantly strive to eradicate all negative self-talk.
4. Love yourself like you want someone to love you.
5. Invest in "You" time.
6. Know your value, worth, and how to be complete on your own: the hardest but most revealing step.
7. If he says he loves you as you are, accept that and believe him. Don't refute his confessions of adoration.
8. Love back wholly and unconditionally.

My friends, after all this talk, WHAT IS LOVE?

Love is a CHOICE to care for someone without being influenced by outside factors. It must often be renewed and retried, but is very rewarding when persevered and refined throughout time.

Here's to love, choosing to be loved, and accepting God's love for us!

Love, Monica

Comments

  1. Great blog Monica!!!! Very inspiring:) keep it up! *Ashley Howard*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White or Black? Choose ONE.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I was finally inspired to pick up my virtual "pen" and write after reading, crying, and being inspired by an article in the May issue of Ebony magazine. Catapulted in part by the remarks by Halle Berry in a past issue of Ebony regarding her view on her daughter's race, this issue is chock-full of articles regarding mixed persons' views of themselves, their families, their mixed-raced children, and what they regard themselves as racially. The crying ensued as relief-that I am not alone, that others feel as I do, that I can share my feelings without the fear of judgement. That I can be honest about who I see myself as. Because this is about ME, not about others' feelings or perceptions of me. Not about what is "politically correct" regarding my raceor allowing society to push me into a "neat little box" of either Black or White. As an adoptee, my Black parents always made sure I knew what I was mixed with, b

What I Wish I Would've Done

Everyone handles grief differently. I would say I hold it at a distance, tolerating it in small spurts. My Great-Grandmother Donna Langdon died recently. Although I only knew her for a short time (being reunited 6-7 years ago after being adopted), I find myself missing her. I handle death in a very meticulous way. First, I being to tell myself that it will soon happen, sometimes preparing many, many years in advance. I have done this with my grandparents, and I did this with my great-grandmother. Some people say they "don't think about it," but I'm the opposite...I understand it as a normal part of life, I forewarn myself of it's pending coming, and gently remind myself every so often so I can figure out the best way for me to handle the situation. This may seem morbid to you, or insensitive even. Truth is, if I don't think about it, plan on it, I'm not sure how my grief process would end up. For me, death is the ultimate separation in this life. I'

Sometimes, I cry...

Today was terrible. I'm sitting now finally having gotten through it, with "Sex and the City: The Movie" playing in the background, my hair damp from an aromatic shower, and my honesty about to boil over and burn your lap. After a nearly two-week streak of overwhelming joy and happiness, hope for new possibilities in my life, today I crashed, and I mean h-a-r-d. Today mommy-ing was so rough. My son seems to never stop calling me. The cat never stops play-biting. My daughter gets clingy and whiny from getting up too early and wanting to nap before lunch. The long list of things to do on my day off (written by me, of course) is slowly being completed, but my fatigue isn't melting away. In fact, even after 9 hours of sleep, I was so tired today I was disappointed in my body, of all things. This is not an ordinary tired. This is a I've-been-trying-to-figure-out-why-I've-been-fatigued-for-over-a-year-and-my-doctors-don't-seem-to-care-or-know-anything-and-I