Skip to main content

To Thine Own Self Be True

Who said that again?

In every other facet of my life I am challenged to always make sure my statements are backed by authoritative research, something learned during my "Intro to Research" class in grad school. Dr. Pelkey taught us to always insert authority into our work by finding reputable sources, but my blog is one place where I am determined to not pressure myself into winning "Most Accurate Blog of the Year." But, still, just hold on ONE second while I google it!

Ok, said by Lord Polonius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet. I figured as much.

So what does this really mean? And how am I being true to mine own self?

Well, right now I just took out two batches of chocolate brownies, infused with peanut butter that I added at the last minute because I thought about how great it would taste. I am sipping a glass of wine to help me unwind. All at...10:37 PM!! Gasp! What happened to #fitlife? (s/o to all my Tweeters and followers!).

Well...I know that after having a stressful week, doing a lot of introspective reflection regarding my future, destiny and who really is in control of it all, and wondering about how any of my current jobs are actually contributing to my happiness in "corporate America", nothing will help me feel better than chocolate and wine. Late at night. When I know I shouldn't. Being true to mine own self :)

Yesterday at Meijer's I picked up a new box of hair color. I've been debating for months now whether I'm going to grow out my natural hair color as I'm growing out my hair length, and randomly saw a girl yesterday with dark brown hair. I loved the shade and immediately decided I would break my coloring fast. However, my Meijer Perks card obviously didn't "clip" the right coupon for that brand, and so I put it back. How could I really bring myself to buy something so frivolous, with no coupon, and during a "No Spend" month? (where we don't incur extra expenses outside of normal household, personal, and children's needs). Being true to my real, frugal, and obsessive-thinking self.

I constantly reflect on how I am a walking controversy. I strive to share constant positivity, inspiration, motivation, and direction to my friends and family, yet I am stricken with fear at the person that I am inside. I would like to be someone who forgives easily, angers slowly, loves fearlessly, is not anxiety-ridden or obsessive about occurences that haven't yet--well--occurred. I would love to pray more, worship God out loud randomly on the street, and stop cursing for good (I'm 90% there!). But I'm not perfect, and my journey to receive acceptance from God and myself has been tiring, yet something I will never give up. Because I am an have always been an overachiever. Being true to mine own self!

To be true to yourself, I think, means that you don't put on a recurring act of the person others think you are. You are true to yourself in your thoughts, in your dealings with others, and with God. Coming before God and saying, " I know I've done "xxx", and I know that I am unworthy to even come before You. But God, this is me, your child, the one whom you've inscribed on the palm of your hand and promised to never leave nor forsake. I want to do better, and I will always try to do better. I want to be more like You, but I feel like I fight myself every day!". Kind of like brother Paul was confessing (can't remember the book or the verse), but it's something to the effect that the type of person he wants to be, he fights, and the type of person he doesn't want to be, he ends of being. RIGHT ON, Brother! Apparently this is an internal fight passed down through the ages.

How are you true to yourself? What addictions will you level with and confess to yourself, and maybe to others? We are not meant to handle the trials of this world alone and empty-handed. Arm yourselves with allies, support groups, prayer warriors, enlightened individuals, and a somewhat clear vision of the "You" you want to be, the "You" who will make a difference, the "You" you dreamed of becoming as a kid when contemplating what you would do when you grow up. Show us your true self. Amen, Shakespeare!

Luv,
Moni :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White or Black? Choose ONE.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I was finally inspired to pick up my virtual "pen" and write after reading, crying, and being inspired by an article in the May issue of Ebony magazine. Catapulted in part by the remarks by Halle Berry in a past issue of Ebony regarding her view on her daughter's race, this issue is chock-full of articles regarding mixed persons' views of themselves, their families, their mixed-raced children, and what they regard themselves as racially. The crying ensued as relief-that I am not alone, that others feel as I do, that I can share my feelings without the fear of judgement. That I can be honest about who I see myself as. Because this is about ME, not about others' feelings or perceptions of me. Not about what is "politically correct" regarding my raceor allowing society to push me into a "neat little box" of either Black or White. As an adoptee, my Black parents always made sure I knew what I was mixed with, b

What I Wish I Would've Done

Everyone handles grief differently. I would say I hold it at a distance, tolerating it in small spurts. My Great-Grandmother Donna Langdon died recently. Although I only knew her for a short time (being reunited 6-7 years ago after being adopted), I find myself missing her. I handle death in a very meticulous way. First, I being to tell myself that it will soon happen, sometimes preparing many, many years in advance. I have done this with my grandparents, and I did this with my great-grandmother. Some people say they "don't think about it," but I'm the opposite...I understand it as a normal part of life, I forewarn myself of it's pending coming, and gently remind myself every so often so I can figure out the best way for me to handle the situation. This may seem morbid to you, or insensitive even. Truth is, if I don't think about it, plan on it, I'm not sure how my grief process would end up. For me, death is the ultimate separation in this life. I'

Sometimes, I cry...

Today was terrible. I'm sitting now finally having gotten through it, with "Sex and the City: The Movie" playing in the background, my hair damp from an aromatic shower, and my honesty about to boil over and burn your lap. After a nearly two-week streak of overwhelming joy and happiness, hope for new possibilities in my life, today I crashed, and I mean h-a-r-d. Today mommy-ing was so rough. My son seems to never stop calling me. The cat never stops play-biting. My daughter gets clingy and whiny from getting up too early and wanting to nap before lunch. The long list of things to do on my day off (written by me, of course) is slowly being completed, but my fatigue isn't melting away. In fact, even after 9 hours of sleep, I was so tired today I was disappointed in my body, of all things. This is not an ordinary tired. This is a I've-been-trying-to-figure-out-why-I've-been-fatigued-for-over-a-year-and-my-doctors-don't-seem-to-care-or-know-anything-and-I