Skip to main content

My Inglorious Motherly Moment

It happened today; I usually keep a good handle on it, but once in a blue moon it happens. An IMM-Inglorious Motherly Moment.

I learned a new word to help relay how I view my IMM-ignominius. It means "marked with or characterized by disgrace or shame : dishonorable;  deserving of shame or infamy ; despicable ;humiliating, degrading...;" you get the picture. Another definition says "making somebody or something appear shamefully weak." That's how I feel about this morning. And here the story goes...

"Kristian! Stop pushing your sister down!"
Every morning it was the same; Mom was fussing at her 2-year-old to stop terrorizing his 11-month-old baby sister. Then came the repeated threats of spankings and removal of privileges. Most of the time the behavior stopped, but this morning it didn't. Almost as if the son was taunting her by saying, " I heard what you said, Mommy, but I don't really think I care to listen. So save your breath." Every day, Mom would play out in her mind the possible outcomes of her responses to her Terrible Two-ster (who in all reality, was not so much terrible as he was "hard of hearing"). She could either continue to feebly request that Kristian stop being mean to his sister and listen to the shrieks of her youngest protest against the bullying of her older brother, or she could be "Mean Mommy"-the distorted green monster who breathed fire and reeked of controlling power. Like her Mom, no-nonsense. A I-better-not-ask-you-more-than-once Mom. A watch-your-back-and-protect-your-head-from-sudden-smacks kind of Mom. And she always tried so hard not to let "Mean Mommy" surface, knowing that she had the capability of letting misdirected rage ravish her children and tear them apart, stopping only once remains of their mutilated spirits lay gasping for air on the ground beneath her feet. And then realizing that she was uncontrollable. That  Mommy she hid from constantly.

But today, as she watched her son push her youngest more than once, heard her sternly ask more than once for the behavior to stop, and saw in slow motion the rush as he, once again, flew from around the corner and pushed with all his might into his sister's back while she was struggling to pull to a stand. And Mean Mommy burst forth, jumped to her feet and growled "I TOLD YOU TO STOP PUSHING HER." Nice Mommy, now smothered, still  tried to pull Mean Mommy's arm to get her to calm down, but it was too late. Kristian, terrified, turned to run, and Mean Mommy was right behind him. "DON'T RUN AWAY FROM ME!" Mean Mommy screamed, yanking the little boy to the couch and turning him over her lap. By now Mommy was hysterical. "I TOLD YOU TO STOP PUSHING HER!" she shrieked, emitting four forceful and solid strikes onto the youngster's backside. She was angry, and she always tried to never spank out of anger. In fact, she avoided spanking as much as she could because she was always afraid Mean Mommy would fight to intervene and take over. And today, that was sadly just what happened.

Her boy, still terrified, put his hands out as if to shield himself, and at the same time as if to calm her and soothe her fiery rage. And Mean Mommy softened, just a bit. She looked sternly and almost disgustedly at his scrunched face, wet with tears. And she got up and walked away. Still fuming, smoke leaving a trail behind her. Nice Mommy sat nearby, shaking her head and biting her lip to keep tears from falling. Mean Mommy avoided her tearful gaze, and proceeded to butter her morning breakfast bagel. After a few moments of intolerable sad glances from Nice Mommy, Mean Mommy retreated and allowed Nice Mommy to take over. "Kristian," she called, and her son came. He was past the fear, and had already returned to happily playing with his toys. But she couldn't help but notice a tear on his face that hadn't yet dried. "Kristian," she repeated, " Mommy was very angry, and she is sorry for yelling at you. But when you don't listen to Mommy, it makes her upset. Can you please try to listen better, and Mommy will try to control her temper?" Her son, tearing up again, said "But you hurt my feelings!"
"And you hurt mine when you don't listen," Mommy replied. And it was done. Nice Mommy gave a swift elbow to her inner nemesis, who was still fuming, and the heat causing Nice Mommy to sweat. Mommy knew that in another few minutes, she would have to confront her son's behavior once again, but the fight that had already happened within herself had drained her, causing her to retreat inside herself. Trembling, she knew she would have to fight harder, and the thought of working even harder to suppress her inner monster made her swell with tears. How does one keep fighting after such a damaging loss?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White or Black? Choose ONE.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I was finally inspired to pick up my virtual "pen" and write after reading, crying, and being inspired by an article in the May issue of Ebony magazine. Catapulted in part by the remarks by Halle Berry in a past issue of Ebony regarding her view on her daughter's race, this issue is chock-full of articles regarding mixed persons' views of themselves, their families, their mixed-raced children, and what they regard themselves as racially. The crying ensued as relief-that I am not alone, that others feel as I do, that I can share my feelings without the fear of judgement. That I can be honest about who I see myself as. Because this is about ME, not about others' feelings or perceptions of me. Not about what is "politically correct" regarding my raceor allowing society to push me into a "neat little box" of either Black or White. As an adoptee, my Black parents always made sure I knew what I was mixed with, b

What I Wish I Would've Done

Everyone handles grief differently. I would say I hold it at a distance, tolerating it in small spurts. My Great-Grandmother Donna Langdon died recently. Although I only knew her for a short time (being reunited 6-7 years ago after being adopted), I find myself missing her. I handle death in a very meticulous way. First, I being to tell myself that it will soon happen, sometimes preparing many, many years in advance. I have done this with my grandparents, and I did this with my great-grandmother. Some people say they "don't think about it," but I'm the opposite...I understand it as a normal part of life, I forewarn myself of it's pending coming, and gently remind myself every so often so I can figure out the best way for me to handle the situation. This may seem morbid to you, or insensitive even. Truth is, if I don't think about it, plan on it, I'm not sure how my grief process would end up. For me, death is the ultimate separation in this life. I'

Sometimes, I cry...

Today was terrible. I'm sitting now finally having gotten through it, with "Sex and the City: The Movie" playing in the background, my hair damp from an aromatic shower, and my honesty about to boil over and burn your lap. After a nearly two-week streak of overwhelming joy and happiness, hope for new possibilities in my life, today I crashed, and I mean h-a-r-d. Today mommy-ing was so rough. My son seems to never stop calling me. The cat never stops play-biting. My daughter gets clingy and whiny from getting up too early and wanting to nap before lunch. The long list of things to do on my day off (written by me, of course) is slowly being completed, but my fatigue isn't melting away. In fact, even after 9 hours of sleep, I was so tired today I was disappointed in my body, of all things. This is not an ordinary tired. This is a I've-been-trying-to-figure-out-why-I've-been-fatigued-for-over-a-year-and-my-doctors-don't-seem-to-care-or-know-anything-and-I