Skip to main content

O, Happy Day! I'm back on the exercise train!

Happiest Wednesday to all my lovelies out there!

I am writing this blog after a month-long respite from blogging; not necessarily by my choice. I've been busy with new job opportunities, never-ending fatigue and muscle aches, depression over not being able to exercise consistently, and wondering if I will ever accomplish my life's dreams since they don't seem to be falling into place at this immediate point in time.

But now I'm back, on one of the happiest days of my life! It's not my wedding day, or the day I birthed a child, or my birthday, or the day I graduated with my Masters. It is simply a Wednesday in December in which I awoke with the same fatigue and muscle aches. The difference is that I have taken a vow to view my life in a much different way. Inspirations from Oprah magazine and Twitter (seriously!) have provided most of the pushing for this change of view, as well as my innermost desire to be happy no matter what in life. And I would like to share my newfound way of viewing life with you, so that you can get the most out of your Wednesday, and every other day.

As you may know, Oprah's infamous motto "Live Your Best Life" is the main topic of most of her magazine issues. I don't know exactly how I started receiving Oprah magazine. I never remembered signing up for it, and if someone gifted it to me, they never told me! But it was one of the best gifts I have ever gotten. Oprah and her team hits on the spiritual topics of life: from truly being happy to mending relationships, to committing to a healthy lifestyle and feeling better physically. Truly a how-to guide on how to live your best life!

The January 2011 issue provided me with just the push I've needed to get back to exercising. The fatigue I've struggled with is often accompanied by a mild case of depression, keeping me from doing the things I truly enjoy-socializing outside of my home, blogging and creative writing, and exercising. For a woman who recently started a new exercise program and changed her eating habits resulting in a loss of 10 lbs over the past three months to suddenly not be able to actively continue her new lifestyle is heart-wrenching. It is a big deal. An issue on exercise in O's issue for next month gave me the push I needed. You can check out the full article at  http://www.oprah.com/omagazine.html. But a few highlights on 10 reasons to exercise (even though just one of the reasons is enough!):

*To fight disease (including risk of cancer)
*To lose weight and keep it off (you can't avoid being active to keep off weight)
*To look better (firms body, improves posture, skin glow)
* To avoid being annoyed and sapped of energy (thus, O Happy Day!)
*To avoid taking sick days (more exercise=less calling in)
*To avoid joint pain (strengthens muscles around joints)
*If you have a bad back (me!)
*You need to sleep better (it wears you out!)
*To slow the effects of aging (!)-forget the eye creams!
*If you love your kids
The last one was enough to make me feel like a change needed to come. Take it straight from O magazine:

"When you care about yourself-and exercising is a sign that you do-you are doing your kids a favor by setting a good example...plus you're more likely to be around longer for them." (pg. 131).
The next step after finding motivation, according to the article, is to get rid of any excuses. This also goes along with a fitness guru who I follow on Twitter (@livinthefitlife), who has a "No Excuse Monday" blog and accompanying workout. O magazine offers a lot of advice on how to overcome excuses such as "I don't like exercise" to "I don't see results." The article also added a third step to becoming fit for good: setting up your goals. Defining your weight loss goals and fitness goals can help your efficiency and progress. The questions you need to ask are:

*What is my exercise goal ? (set up something you can achieve)
*What's the most postivite outcome of achieving this goal (why do you want to exercise?)
*What's the main obstacle standing in the way? (i.e. not enough time)
*How can I overcome the obstacle? (i.e. going to bed earlier to get up 30 minutes earlier)
*How should I achieve my goal? (have a detailed schedule down to the minute to follow to prevent detours)

My exercise program of choice is Jillian Michaels' "30-Day Shred", a program consisting of interval training that lasts only 20 minutes (presenting a very achievable exercise goal) with an extremely motivating individual who challenges you in between pushups and jumping jacks to push through even when you feel like "you're going to die." My main obstacle in completing this program (I've been doing it since late September) is motivation, time, and my fatigue. To overcome the obstacle, I've begun motivating myself by O Magazine and Twitter, as well as writing out statuses on Facebook that outline what I want. So if I post "Happy Wednesday, make it your best day by hydrating, exercising, and using your gifts for good today" I am really talking to myself and hoping I motivate someone else in the process. It doesn't mean I'm the guru at all those things and have dubbed myself the expert and am trying to get everyone on my level. I need help just as badly, so I try to help myself in these ways. I do it for myself and for my children and for others, so that through me (or rather Christ in me) they can see that all things are possible.

My favorite Twitter motivators are Reverend Run  (@RevRunWisdom), Ralph Marston, self-dubbed daily motivator (@ralphmarston), Gunnar Peterson, trainer of the Kardashians in L.A. (@gunnar), Eckhart Tolle (one of Oprah's spiritual gurus) @EckhartTolle, @livinthefitlife, and Dr. Ro (@everythingro). These people probably have no clue who I am, but God has given them certain motivational gifts that truly inspire me. I go to Twitter to be inspired by these people, whether to exercise or look at life in a different way. Ralph Marston recently tweeted "Joy needs no reason to be, it just is." Create happiness in your life, decide just to be happy. Decide to look at dreaded events with happy anticipation and excitement. See how you can use your gifts to better others rather than how everyone is sapping the energy out of you. And commit to being fit. One of the contestants on "The Biggest Loser" said: "This is so much more than being thin; this is about taking control of your life."

This is why today is the happiest day of my life; I took control of it, and created my happiness. This is truly what life is about...the living, not the dreading. Get happy!

Luv,
Monica

Comments

  1. love this blog . all i can say is stay focus . i work out alot im 42 yrs old and i feel good about the way i look but i can always look for inprovement so i just try my best to focus on the big picture . love u and just thought that u could see that u r amazine just the way u r

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White or Black? Choose ONE.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I was finally inspired to pick up my virtual "pen" and write after reading, crying, and being inspired by an article in the May issue of Ebony magazine. Catapulted in part by the remarks by Halle Berry in a past issue of Ebony regarding her view on her daughter's race, this issue is chock-full of articles regarding mixed persons' views of themselves, their families, their mixed-raced children, and what they regard themselves as racially. The crying ensued as relief-that I am not alone, that others feel as I do, that I can share my feelings without the fear of judgement. That I can be honest about who I see myself as. Because this is about ME, not about others' feelings or perceptions of me. Not about what is "politically correct" regarding my raceor allowing society to push me into a "neat little box" of either Black or White. As an adoptee, my Black parents always made sure I knew what I was mixed with, b

What I Wish I Would've Done

Everyone handles grief differently. I would say I hold it at a distance, tolerating it in small spurts. My Great-Grandmother Donna Langdon died recently. Although I only knew her for a short time (being reunited 6-7 years ago after being adopted), I find myself missing her. I handle death in a very meticulous way. First, I being to tell myself that it will soon happen, sometimes preparing many, many years in advance. I have done this with my grandparents, and I did this with my great-grandmother. Some people say they "don't think about it," but I'm the opposite...I understand it as a normal part of life, I forewarn myself of it's pending coming, and gently remind myself every so often so I can figure out the best way for me to handle the situation. This may seem morbid to you, or insensitive even. Truth is, if I don't think about it, plan on it, I'm not sure how my grief process would end up. For me, death is the ultimate separation in this life. I'

Sometimes, I cry...

Today was terrible. I'm sitting now finally having gotten through it, with "Sex and the City: The Movie" playing in the background, my hair damp from an aromatic shower, and my honesty about to boil over and burn your lap. After a nearly two-week streak of overwhelming joy and happiness, hope for new possibilities in my life, today I crashed, and I mean h-a-r-d. Today mommy-ing was so rough. My son seems to never stop calling me. The cat never stops play-biting. My daughter gets clingy and whiny from getting up too early and wanting to nap before lunch. The long list of things to do on my day off (written by me, of course) is slowly being completed, but my fatigue isn't melting away. In fact, even after 9 hours of sleep, I was so tired today I was disappointed in my body, of all things. This is not an ordinary tired. This is a I've-been-trying-to-figure-out-why-I've-been-fatigued-for-over-a-year-and-my-doctors-don't-seem-to-care-or-know-anything-and-I